Pro Bono Legal Representation
Cowles Thompson attorneys and paralegals maintain a strong commitment to public service through pro bono legal representation provided to the community. Our attorneys are free to explore a wide variety of pro bono opportunities, so that they become more active members of the community and cultivate lasting relationships with public service organizations.
Legal Aid of Northwest Texas (LANWT) is the primary source of pro bono law opportunities in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area. Cowles Thompson associates are encouraged to volunteer for cases early in their legal careers, and our attorneys have accepted cases from LANWT in many different legal areas, including family law, consumer law, and landlord/tenant disputes. Our attorneys have also provided assistance to the Pro Se Divorce Clinic, which supports individuals who are filing for divorce on their own.
Our attorneys have volunteered through organizations such as Legal Aid of Northwest Texas, Dallas Volunteer Attorney Project, The Human Rights Initiative, Dallas Bar Association’s Legal Line, and The Promise House of Dallas.
The Human Rights Initiative is dedicated to the promotion of international human rights and service to immigrants and refugees who have suffered human rights abuses. Cowles Thompson attorneys primarily assist in obtaining asylum in the United States for these immigrants and refugees, and we have represented clients from a variety of countries around the world.
Community and Legal Service
Cowles Thompson attorneys and staff often collaborate in community service to organizations such as the North Texas Food Bank, Adopt A Family, and the Stew Pot. The firm also actively sponsors organizations such as the North Dallas Chamber of Commerce, the Richardson Chamber of Commerce, and Attorneys Serving the Community.
In addition, individual attorneys have served and/or provided legal counsel to organizations, including:
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
- Fairview Economic Development Corp.
- First Baptist Church of Garland
- First Methodist Church-Richardson
- Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary
- Historic Ft. Worth Inc.
- Institute for Law Enforcement Administration
- Junior League of Dallas
- Pi Beta Phi Foundation
- P.L.A.N.E.S –Latin Parents Assisting Special Children
- Plano Multicultural Cultural Outreach Roundtable
- Preservation Dallas
- Preservation Texas
- St. Peter’s Classical School
- Tarrant County Lighthouse for the Blind
- The National Trust for Historic Preservation, Texas
- The San Antonio Conservation Society
- The Texas Municipal League
- Williams Foundation
- YMCA of Metropolitan Dallas