Leading the Way
At Cowles Thompson, we consider our diversity efforts an important component in the level of service we provide to our clients. Promoting diversity among staff, associates and shareholders makes our firm both more collegial and competitive in the marketplace. This diversity is a strength that enhances our ability to meet – and exceed – our clients’ expectations.
In 1994, Cowles Thompson became one of the first law firms in Dallas to adopt the Statement of Goals of Dallas Law Firms and Corporate Legal Departments for Increasing Minority Hiring, Retention and Promotion as published by the Dallas Bar and several minority bar associations. The Statement includes specific actions to promote minority opportunities in the legal profession.
We are proud of our diverse alumni and of our reputation as a great place to work and build a career, and as a supportive training ground for those whose career paths may take them in new directions.
Recruiting and the Attorney Development and Diversity Program
Cowles Thompson adopted and implemented an Attorney Development and Diversity Program, in order to promote greater diversity in the workforce, provide opportunity for those of diverse racial, gender, and ethnic background, and to foster an environment in which all are inspired to achieve, grow, and advance. Through our program, we:
- Recruit minorities and women, both at the attorney and staff levels;
- Have participated in the Sunbelt Minority Recruitment Program which provides legal employers throughout the U.S. with an opportunity to interview minority law students from five states and 18 different law schools;
- Have participated in the Dallas Bar Association’s Minority Attorney Business Development Initiative Minority Recruiting Project, which assists law firms in the systematic recruitment of top minority students from select U.S. law schools;
- Provide professional support to guide, develop, mentor, retain, and promote minorities and women;
- Develop a diverse supplier base and build relationships with suppliers who reflect the market, clients, and communities we serve;
- Support firm member involvement in community and professional diversity programs;
- Participate in the Summer Law Intern Program, a joint initiative of the Dallas Bar Association and the Dallas Independent School District;
- Provide service to the community, including free clinics and seminars in support of furthering community access to legal services.
Minority Bar Associations
Cowles Thompson actively supports minority bar associations. We encourage attorney participation and have had members in the Dallas Hispanic Bar Association, Dallas Asian-American Bar Association, J.L. Turner Legal Association, and National Bar Association. We sponsor and pay the dues and expenses for our attorneys’ participation in these minority organizations and associations.
Sponsorships and Community Involvement
Cowles Thompson regularly sponsors events in the community and supports diversity programs. Examples include:
- North Dallas Chamber of Commerce DEI (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion) Series sponsor;
- Hispanic National Bar Association and Dallas Hispanic Bar Association’s unveiling of the new Journal of Law and Policy, premiere sponsor;
- JL Turner Legal Association Foundation’s Anniversary Scholarship and Awards Gala, corporate sponsor;
- Annual Texas Minority Counsel Program, counselor sponsor;
- Dallas Hispanic Bar Association’s Lighting the Path to Legal Education Gala Dinner, bronze sponsor;
- Excellence in Immigration Awards, sponsor;
- Plano Citizenship Day, sponsor.
In addition, our firm dedicates pro bono hours every year, including representation of minorities through the Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program and Legal Aid of Northwest Texas.
Since ______, Cowles Thompson has been a major contributor and supporter of the Sarah T. Hughes Diversity Scholarships which provide qualified minority law students with a full scholarship to North Texas-area law schools.
Cowles Thompson provides flexible hours and working arrangements to meet the needs of its lawyers who face the challenges of maintaining a legal career while raising a family. We offer a variety of employment opportunities to enable shareholders and associates to work part-time, work some days from home, work on a contract basis, or take a hiatus from Shareholder capacity. See current openings for Experienced Lawyers and Staff.
Cowles and Thompson, P.C. provides equal employment and advancement opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran in accordance with local, state and federal laws.