Product liability cases present complicated legal issues for manufacturers, distributors, and retailers, and often carry the risk of substantial financial exposure. Cowles Thompson trial attorneys have extensive experience defending product liability and toxic tort cases, many of which involve class action claims with far-reaching implications.
Since the firm’s founding in 1978, Cowles Thompson has successfully defended product liability lawsuits. Today, we actively handle complicated legal issues and complex litigation related to alleged defective design, manufacture, and marketing of numerous products, including:
- Motor vehicles
- Aircraft and aircraft components
- Orthopedic devices
- Breast implants
- Talc/talcum powder
We have defended against environmental and toxic tort claims for a variety of manufacturers and distributors, including mining companies, and generators of radioactive waste.
- Aviation Commercial Dispute — current representation of a company allegedly failing to perform adequate aircraft maintenance
- Aviation Product Liability — current representation of an aircraft engine manufacturer on multiple personal injury claims
- Favorable Settlement at Trial — product liability (alleged post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Petty v. AVCO (73rd Dist. Ct., Bexar County, Texas) Defense Verdict — product liability (breach of warranty/aviation product)
- AVCO vs. Precision (U.S. Federal Court, Northern District of Texas) — successful resolution of action seeking statutory indemnity from manufacturer of allegedly defective fuel control system
- Coordinated Successful Settlement of National Claims — coordinated defense and obtained favorable settlement for component vendor of U.S. automobile manufacturer for product liability claims nationwide.
- Obtained summary judgment in a personal injury, wrongful death case of a child in federal district court in Houston, Texas, and defended the judgment in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, which resulted in costs-only settlement while on appeal.
Class Actions, Supervising Counsel
Cowles Thompson is often selected as supervising counsel in products liability cases and is experienced in managing the defense of large class action and multiple-suit litigation in these areas, where claims can have far-reaching implications.
Defending Clients Across Texas
Our attorneys serve clients as both trial and coordinating counsel. We try products cases in state and federal courtrooms throughout Texas, from single incidents to mass tort and class action litigation. We demonstrate experience in the courtroom as well as the ability to manage complex, multi-party litigation. We provide direct representation to manufacturers, distributors, and retailers, and defend cases assigned by liability insurers.
In addition to litigation defense, our lawyers also assist in risk management issues. We identify areas of possible exposure and suggest solutions to avoid future litigation. We understand that a product liability lawsuit can be disastrous to the ongoing business concerns of a manufacturer. Consequently, we develop a close partnership with the client to formulate a strategy that will allow the company to emerge from litigation in the best possible financial condition.
- Construction equipment
- Motor vehicles and towing equipment
- Industrial equipment
- Oil and gas
- Medical devices
- Component part manufacturers
- Mass tort litigation
- Cigarette lighters
- Specialized trailers for large equipment and gasoline tanker trailers
Serious Death or Injury
Cowles Thompson Tort Litigation attorneys have also defended numerous cases involving serious personal injury or death. We have developed deep knowledge of the unique liability issues faced by the transportation industry; product component part manufacturers, retailers, and distributors; and the healthcare industry, including nursing homes and other medical service providers.